Sunday, August 30, 2015

Tip#880: How Movies Help You Visualize Success, Part 2 - Health & Wellness - Fantastic Voyage

“You'll wind up a Hindu; and love all forms of life, no matter how small.” 
Fantastic Voyage (1966)

I am excited to have discovered a promising solution to improving my health and wellness that goes hand in hand with the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) work I’ve been doing (see tip#855). I am currently reading Brain Maker by renowned physician and neurologist Dr. David Permutter who says there is a huge brain-gut connection that is the cause of depression and other debilitating brain disorders like autism, ALS and ADHD.

Here is a overview of 5 key points from Brain Maker by Brian Johnson through his Philosophers Notes video. See: video clip

1. 100 trillion microbial friends live in our gut that affect our brain health
2. We have a 2nd brain in our gut with neurons producing 80 to 90% of the feel good chemical serotonin
3. 70 to 80% of our immune system is in our gut
4. Probiotics in fermented foods like yogurt and supplements are needed in gut
5. Diet will optimize our brain and body via 6 keys such as eating probiotic rich foods like yogurt, sauerkraut, kimchi and eat low carbs higher healthy fat foods as well as prebiotics to nourish the healthy bacteria

Two recommended video clips:
DAVID PERLMUTTER, M.D. author of Brain Maker, part 1
DAVID PERLMUTTER, M.D. author of Brain Maker, part 2

Brain Maker not only gave me a simple direction to improve my physical and mental health it also fired up my imagination about the trillions of microbial friends living inside me! I began thinking of Dr. Seuss’s Horton Hears a Who animated TV show I loved as a kid and also Marvel’s Ant-Man film (see tip#870) that all presented imaginative microscopic worlds. Another related movie I loved growing up was Fantastic Voyage.

Fantastic Voyage (1966)

The science fiction adventure film, Fantastic Voyage, is about a medical team shrunk to microscopic size and venture into a human body to repair damage to the brain. With stunning visuals for its time this film won two academy awards for Best Art Direction and Best Special Effects. Memorable performances from the cast include Stephen Boyd, Donald Pleasence, Edmond O’Brien, Arthur O'Connell and Raquel Welch. See: original 60's movie trailer


When I started reading Brain Maker I watched Fantastic Voyage for the first time in decades and it triggered nostalgic memories from its wondrous music, beautifully designed submarine (the Proteus) and the stirring visuals of traveling through blood vessels, the heart and the brain.

Being immersed in the film’s microscopic imagery inspired me to visualize my own gut and the trillion microbes that needed my attention and help. Since then I researched online, health food stores and talked to friends who've already discovered the health benefits of probiotic foods and supplements. I’ve made immediate changes to my diet and started taking a recommended probiotic product called Ultimate Flora with each capsule containing 50 billion live cultures and 10 strains of microflora essential to revitalizing my gut.

These amounts may sound staggering but I am now visualizing that I am helping these trillions of living microbes within me after years of a poor, neglected diet. I remain hopeful that my diet and lifestyle changes help eliminate my depression once and for all and return me back to my energetic, playful, social self! I have shows like Horton Hears a Who, Ant-Man and Fantastic Voyage to thank for helping me visualize the world of my inner body!

Your personal health and wellness can sometimes be a challenge to manage. Movies, especially favourite ones, can be powerful tools to stimulate your imagination and keep an open mind for solutions already at hand. Let them inspire you to visualize the success you crave in your life, health, work or career!

Related Tips:
Tip#945: Believe in Miracles, Part 2 - Health & Wellness - Miracles from Heaven 
Tip#408: How Movies Help You Visualize Success, Part 1 – Pecha Kucha Night – Temple Grandin
Tip#880: How Movies Help You Visualize Success, Part 2 - Fantastic Voyage
Tip#831: Creative Visualization, Part 1 - Reticular Activating System (RAS) - Focus
Tip#890: Creative Visualization, Part 2 - Mental Health - Pawn Sacrifice  
Tip#980: Creative Visualization, Part 3 – Mental Imagery - Rio Olympics 2016 – 4 Inspiring Movies
Tip#389: Focus On The Reality You Want – Inception 
Tip#568: Visualization & Your Imagination, Part 1 – 6 Movie Tips
Tip#663: Visualization & Your Imagination, Part 2 – Bedtime Stories
Tip#759: Expand Your Mind with Time Travel Movies, Pt 2 - X-Men: Days of Future Past

Remember How Movies Can Help You: 
A) Entertain & Escape 
B) Re-energize & Release 
C) Insights, Epiphanies & AHA moments 

http://bit.ly/cxjH4Zhttp://bit.ly/cj7UIphttp://www.pinterest.com/motivatorman1/http://bit.ly/9Je5dhhttp://bit.ly/djk9Yjhttp://bit.ly/bUSAy0

Emmanuel Lopez-Motivatorman
Motivational Speaker & Resilience Expert
Discover How Movies Inspire Resilience in Your Work & Life!
See website: www.motivatorman.com

© Emmanuel Lopez 2015

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you think it will help, it will. You create your own reality, don't forget.

https://franheal.wordpress.com/2015/02/01/mary-magdalene-you-are-pure-divine-love-channeled-by-fran-zepeda/

Nan : )

Candice Frederick said...

what an interesting, reflective post. this is one of my fave sci-fi films. glad you liked it!