Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Tip#957: Focus & Resilience, Part 3 - Race

“You’ve got to learn to block it all out, it’s just noise! That’s all this is. You hear me?” 
Race (2016)

Years ago I remember people telling me not to print business cards for my illustration business that featuring a cartoon face with pencils up his nose because they said I wouldn’t be taken seriously as a professional. But I listened to my gut and intuition and did it anyways. I believed in the idea. I ended up getting so much work with high profile clients like American Express, Procter & Gamble and The Globe & Mail Newspaper.

In my current work as a Movies-for-Motivation Speaker I’ve been told not to use the name Motivatorman or my profile photo of my superhero pose for the same reasons that I will not be taken seriously. But I stayed focused on my inner voice telling me this name and photo will help promote my uniqueness and stand out from my competition. And it works! I continue to receive compliments from clients and fans for the choices I’ve made. I’ve even been told that I was hired based on the fun spirit of the image I projected.


Staying focused can sometimes be a challenge, especially if conflicting opinions are coming from trusted colleagues or even loved ones. That’s why movie heroes can be inspiring to stay true to one’s path. And if the film is based on a true story then it is even more empowering!

Race (2016)

The biographical sports drama film, Race, is about African American athlete, Jesse Owens (Stephen Hopkins), and his journey towards winning a record-breaking four gold medals at the 1936 Berlin Olympic Games. Despite the movie’s flaws it is a powerful story of overcoming racial discrimination with some powerful moments of triumph and many stunning, exciting visuals. See: movie trailer


Owens was a gifted athlete as demonstrated while a college freshman and yet he was still faced with prejudice and people with their own issues and opinions, both white and black. Add to that the pressures of making the choice to attend the Berlin Olympics hosted by Nazi Germany. And even after he wins his gold medals there is a shocking scene of how he is treated back home. Side note: I read that President Franklin D. Roosevelt never acknowledged Owen's achievements in Berlin or invited him to the White House, when such an invitation was common for Olympic champions.

There is an amazing scene early in the film where Owens’ coach Larry Snyder (Jason Sudeikis) teaches him a valuable lesson for not getting distracted while competing. They are in a locker room and another coach and his football team are yelling at him while he is talking to Owen and his team. Snyder is getting them to stay focused on just his voice. And despite the intensity of the shouting Owen soon smiles as he focuses on only his coach while all other sounds quiets down. It is a powerful moment that Owen applies to all his victories especially at the Berlin Olympics.


Inspiring Themes:
• Passion
• Courage
• Confidence
• Perseverance
• Resilience
• Indestructible Optimism
• Leadership
• Teamwork
• Supportive Relationships
• Racism & Prejudice
• Equal Rights

This film also stands out with the historical accuracy thanks to the support and cooperation of Owens’ family. This makes this story of success even more inspirational for anyone facing a multitude of voices trying to block their path. Check out this great article on what is true or not in this film: History vs Hollywood: Race (2016)

Let these movie heroes and real-life heroes inspire you to stay focused and resilient with all the noise and voices shouting at you to do what they want. Do your best to listen and trust your inner voice. Focus and breathe. Only you knows what is right for you.

Related Tips:
Tip#725: Focus & Resilience, Part 1 – Hunger Games: Catching Fire – 42 
Tip#893: Focus & Resilience, Part 2 - The Walk IMAX 3D
Tip#957: Focus & Resilience, Part 3 - Race
Tip#936: Cultivate Community, Part 12 – Zootopia
Tip#338: Take the Leadership Role – Remember the Titans
Tip#754: Strong Women in the Movies, Part 1 - Belle 




ON SALE NOW:
Top Inspiring Women in the Movies:
15 Films for Leadership at Work & in Life
The latest eBook by Emmanuel Lopez: Click Here 

LISTEN TO EMMANUEL’S CBC RADIO INTERVIEW on
MOVIE MESSAGES OF HOPE: Fresh Air Show 14 minutes

Remember How Movies Can Help You: 
A) Entertain & Escape 
B) Re-energize & Release 
C) Inspiration & Motivation 

http://bit.ly/cxjH4Zhttp://bit.ly/cj7UIphttp://www.pinterest.com/motivatorman1/http://bit.ly/9Je5dhhttp://bit.ly/djk9Yjhttp://bit.ly/bUSAy0

Emmanuel Lopez-Motivatorman
Movies-for-Motivation Speaker
Discover How Movies Inspire Resilience & Indestructible Optimism
See website: www.motivatorman.com

© Emmanuel Lopez 2016

No comments: