Sunday, April 10, 2016

Tip#946: Trust Your Gut, Part 3 - The Finest Hours

For many years my loving mom wanted me to get back to illustration as a full-time profession. Despite my new passion for motivational speaking and movie blogging she really didn’t want me to let go of creating the award-winning artwork she knew I was excellent in doing. I was just following my passion and trusting my gut for this new direction. It would be over a decade later that my mom would finally understand my choice for the path I wanted to pursue.

See my illustrations: Portfolio Retrospective

What changed my mom’s mind was watching a recent video clip I sent her from the Oprah Network featuring action star Dwayne Johnson. Johnson talked about his early life challenges and sudden change from pursuing a football career to becoming a pro-wrestler. He says he just followed his gut and felt in his heart he had to do this. Initially his father was very against this decision and wouldn’t support his son. He soon changed his mind and helped Johnson which led to a successful chapter or his life and ultimately the successful movie star he is today.

See video 2.36 min:
How a Bout of Depression Led to Dwayne Johnson's Career-Defining Moment

This inspirational video somehow lifted a weight off my mom and she finally accepted my life and career decisions. Over the years there were other family, friends, co-workers and even readers of this blog that felt I should be doing what they think is best for me. And I love and appreciate them all for caring. In the end I always trust my gut and heart for moving forward. It’s about trusting this inner voice inside me that I know is coming from a higher power.

So that’s why the ups and downs I experience resulting from my decisions are just part of the grand adventure I am having! And I know my inner voice will continue to guide me through whatever storms I encounter along the way.

The Finest Hours (2016)

The drama-thriller film, The Finest Hours, is based on the true story of the heroic rescue of over 30 sailors from the SS Pendleton split apart by a massive storm in 1952. Bernie Webber (Chris Pine) is sent out to find this damaged ship while Ray Sybert (Casey Affleck) assumes command of the surviving stern of his vessel in this exciting film filled with some jaw-dropping disaster visuals. See: movie trailer 


Although at first Bernie seems to lack confidence and assertiveness in his workplace and personal life he soon demonstrates great courage, resilience, perseverance and leadership as he ships out with his crew of four into a massive storm. And even though many of his fellow crewman and his Chief Officer (Eric Bana) insists on Bernie following their opinions and orders he chooses to trust his gut, heart and intuition in order to accomplish his goal and survive. By doing so he astounds everyone by accomplishing the seemingly impossible over and over again.

Ray also shows similar strengths when faced with crew members who didn’t recognize or support his direction but in the end they trusted him much like how Bernie is trusted by his own crew. Because of these two shining examples of inner strength this becomes an excellent film for inspiring team spirit, teamwork and outstanding leadership. To this day this situation is still considered the greatest small boat rescue in Coast Guard history.


Inspiring Themes:
• Self-Confidence
• Perseverance
• Resilience
• Indestructible Optimism
• Leadership
• Teamwork
• Strategic Thinking
• Supportive Relationships

Trusting your gut in any situation whether it’s at work or in daily life can be a challenge especially when there are many voices around you telling you to do something else. And yet your inner voice is the one to guide you through whatever storms you face and obstacles that stand in your way. Let that voice sing out loud every day and eventually others will see and hear that voice too!

Read more of what was true and changed for The Finest Hours movie: History vs Hollywood

Related Tips:
Tip#616: Trust Your Gut, Part 1 - Jack Reacher 
Tip#888: Trust Your Gut, Part 2 - The Big Picture
Tip#946: Trust Your Gut, Part 3 - The Finest Hours


ON SALE NOW:
Top Inspiring Women in the Movies:
15 Films for Leadership at Work & in Life
The latest eBook by Emmanuel Lopez: CLICK HERE

LISTEN TO EMMANUEL’S CBC RADIO INTERVIEW on
MOVIE MESSAGES OF HOPE: Fresh Air Show 14 minutes

Remember How Movies Can Help You: 
A) Entertain & Escape 
B) Re-energize & Release 
C) Inspiration & Motivation 

http://bit.ly/cxjH4Zhttp://bit.ly/cj7UIphttp://www.pinterest.com/motivatorman1/http://bit.ly/9Je5dhhttp://bit.ly/djk9Yjhttp://bit.ly/bUSAy0

Emmanuel Lopez-Motivatorman
Motivational Speaker & Movie Blogger
Discover How Movies Inspire Resilience & Indestructible Optimism
See website: www.motivatorman.com

© Emmanuel Lopez 2016

No comments: