Friday, October 16, 2015

Tip#896: Resilience Resources, Part 19 - Depression – J.K. Rowling – Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Before I was clinically diagnosed with chronic depression in January 2015 I didn’t know what was wrong with me for over 15 years (see tip#855). During that time I researched every motivational, personal growth, metaphysical and spiritual teachings I was drawn to so I could learn how to live life more fully again. I soaked up countless books by Napoleon Hill, Bob Proctor, Tony Robbins, Shakti Gawain, Ester Hicks/Abrahams, Marianne Williamson, John Assaraf, Joel Osteen, Paulo Coelho and so many more.

I later realized that depression was a divine part of my life journey and what I came into this lifetime to experience. I created my best artworks, music and writings during depressive episodes that I'm glad have inspired and moved others. I learned tools and methods to stay resilient that I share on this blog and in my motivational talks. And learning how to ask for help and seeing how beautiful people respond always moved my soul. Harry Potter author J.K. Rowlings demonstrated an inspiring example of this via Twitter.


Rowlings has been very open with her experience with clinical depression and even created the ghostly Dementors as her representation of what depression is like. On the internet she shared powerful advice to someone who reached out to her by posting this on her Twitter account...

 “…what would you say to someone who has failed to find meaning and wants to finally give up?” 

Rowlings responded by posting three photos with this message...
“I would say: look at this.” 


And then Rowlings posted this message...
“And I’d say, the world is full of wonderful things you haven’t seen yet. Don’t ever give up on the chance of seeing them.” 

I was so touched to read this. This inspiring Twitter dialogue was been featured on numerous online sites and I'm so glad I discovered it so I could share with you. These bright reminders can be a shining light in the dark, hopeless times of depression. They can help someone to stay resilient.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)

The fantasy film, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, is the third installment of the series and is where Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe) learns about Dementors. These are soulless creatures who gradually deprive human minds of happiness and intelligence. With the help of Professor Lupin (David Thewlis), Harry learns how to protect himself through the spell called "Expecto Petronum" which is based on a happy, powerful memory that creates a shield of intense light fending off the Dementors. See clip: Harry’s first encounter with a Dementor


This film has always been my favourite of the series and looking back I am inspired knowing that Rowlings creatively applied what she learned from her depression and shared simple tools like tapping into “happy, powerful memories” to maintain perseverance, resilience and indestructible optimism! I am forever grateful to Rowlings for enduring her own painful life experiences and for showing how she turned her suffering into creativity and incredible successes that inspires multiple generations around the world.

If you are dealing with depression please remember that you are not alone. Remember that you could turn your pain into something creative. And remember to ask for help no matter how difficult that may be. Stay strong my friend! Stay resilient!

See this inspiring 8 min video compilation:
J.K. Rowling on Depression and Failure

Quotes about Depression by J.K. Rowling:
 “It’s so difficult to describe depression to someone who’s never been there, because it’s not sadness. I know sadness. Sadness is to cry and to feel. But it’s that cold absence of feeling — that really hollowed-out feeling.” 

“Depression is the most unpleasant thing I have ever experienced… Sad hurts, but it’s a healthy feeling. It is a necessary thing to feel. Depression is very different.” 

“My depression was characterized by a numbness, a coldness and an inability to believe you will feel happy again. All the color drained out of life.” 

“I have never been remotely ashamed of having been depressed. Never. What’s there to be ashamed of? I went through a really tough time and I am quite proud that I got out of that.” 

Related Tips:
Tip#576: Replay a Happy Memory, Part 1 - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban 
Tip#804: Resilience Resources, Part 1 - Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) - The Theory of Everything 
Tip#896: Resilience Resources, Part 19 - Depression – J.K. Rowling – Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

NEED FAST TIPS FOR STAYING POSITIVE & RESILIENT?
SEE MOTIVATORMAN’S RESILIENCE RESOURCES: Click here 

Remember How Movies Can Help You: 
A) Entertain & Escape 
B) Re-energize & Release 
C) Insights, Inspiration & Epiphanies 

http://bit.ly/cxjH4Zhttp://bit.ly/cj7UIphttp://www.pinterest.com/motivatorman1/http://bit.ly/9Je5dhhttp://bit.ly/djk9Yjhttp://bit.ly/bUSAy0

Emmanuel Lopez-Motivatorman
Motivational Speaker & Resilience Expert
Discover How Movies Inspire Resilience in Your Work & Life!
See website: www.motivatorman.com

© Emmanuel Lopez 2015

No comments: