Sunday, September 12, 2010

Tip#387: Discover The Excitement of Others – Toronto International Film Festival – Dhobi Ghat (Mumbai Diaries) – Aamir Khan

After all the intense life changes I've gone through this year (see tip#372) I was looking forward to the Toronto International Film Festival currently under way. In one night I've already been able to taste the electric energy in the air, seen celebrities and discovered something that excites others.

At the Elgin Theatre I attended the gala screening of Dhobi Ghat (Mumbai Diaries) from India. It was written by first time director Kiran Rao and starred her husband Aamir Khan. When Kiran introduced Aamir onstage the crowd went wild. They cheered for him so long and I had never even heard of the man. Since the fans cheering were predominantly South Asian I loved the realization I was discovering a huge Bollywood superstar.

See photos from gala screening: Click here

The movie was amazing and touching. Afterwards my friends and I joined in the crunch of fans and photographers at the entrance of the Elgin Theatre. Squeezed in with other movie lovers and star-gazers we watched the limos bring in Ed Norton, Milla Jovovich and Robert De Niro for their gala screening called Stone. Though it was exciting I am still thinking about the Mumbai movie.

Dhobi Ghat (Mumbai Diaries) 2010

According to the writer and director, Kiran Rao says this is her love letter to the city of Mumbai. The story is about four people separated by class and language that are drawn together into compelling relationships. Throughout the film you also discover the beauty of Mumbai.

The catalyst for all the relationships is the opening night for artist Arun (Aamir Khan) who meets Shai (Monica Dogra) an investment banker on sabbatical from the US. The sights, sounds and textures of the movie are so rich that I felt like I had been transported to India for an amazing visit.

Warm Interaction On Stage

What was also inspiring to see was the warm interaction on stage between Aamir and his wife Kiran before the film started. This gala event was clearly a dream come true for her and it was heartwarming that her husband passionately produced, starred and shared in her labour of love. Afterwards I would do more research on how successful and popular Aamir was around the world. The evening was a great gift for me.

We live in such a big world filled with so many different interests that excite each of us. Be open to opportunities that come your way that share new ideas, people and cultures. They could inspire you in unexpected ways. And if you hear the ecstatic screaming of fans somewhere just be curious. You may discover something absolutely fantastic!

SEE SAMPLES OF EMPOWERING ARTICLE TOPICS LIKE
LIFE AND CAREER TRANSITIONS, PASSION AND OPTIMISM
WRITTEN BY EMMANUEL LOPEZ-MOTIVATORMAN: Click here

Emmanuel Lopez-Motivatorman
Motivational Superhero at Your Service!
Motivational Speaker & Movie Blogger
See website: www.motivatorman.com

© Emmanuel Lopez 2010

2 comments:

Josie said...

Great post Emmanuel! I hate that TIFF coincides with what are some of the busiest weeks for teachers. I will try to get out and watch some good films. I really want to see "The First Grader" from the UK. Enjoy the festival! :)

Josie

Emmanuel Lopez - Motivatorman said...

Thanks for the comment and the TIFF recommendation Josie!