Sunday, September 05, 2010

Tip#385: Walk Through That Door - Temple Grandin

In early March of 2010 I was suddenly faced with a door that was frightening, painful and overwhelming. It led to the unknown of a new life experience and I found the courage to walk through. Little did I know that I would have to go through even more doors of intense change and crisis throughout the spring and summer (See previous tips during this time for details).

What was extremely comforting to experience was that friends, family, colleagues and even strangers would be at every door to help me through. Synchronistically in March I had seen one movie that prepared me for this journey. That film was Temple Grandin. It is an HBO TV movie and I felt compelled to write about it only when the DVD was released so it would be available for readers of this blog to see.

The recent DVD release coincides with the movie winning 5 Emmy awards. This is the first made for TV movie that is on my list of favourite films because it re-energized me on so many levels. It was deeply inspiring and I believe the movie hero helped condition my mindset to persevere throughout all my adversities.

Temple Grandin (2010)

The movie Temple Grandin is a biopic of an autistic woman named Temple Grandin (Claire Danes) who revolutionizes practices for the humane handling of livestock on cattle ranches and slaughterhouses. Through amazing visual effects you can experience how Temple sees the world and is able to creatively visualize solutions. For example in her teens she creates a more effective swinging door at the car entrance of her aunt's farm. In her college years Temple would build a contraption she calls the "squeeze machine" that helps calm her down like a hug.


“My name is Temple Grandin. I'm not like other people. I think in pictures and I connect them.”

You will also see Temple's unwavering persistence, perseverance and resilience when faced with people who blocked her dreams and goals. And even when she was filled with fear when she encountered sliding doors at a grocery store, Temple recognizes the idea that there will always be someone there to help her through.

Inspiring Themes:
• Having a Vision
• Creative Visualization
• Strategic Thinking
• Leadership 
• Courage
• Self-Confidence
• Passion
• Perseverance
• Resilience
• Indestructible Optimism
• Supportive Relationships

Looking back at when I first saw this movie I now know in my heart that there will always be someone there to help at every frightening door I encounter. Temple, the movie hero, inspired me to remember this!

If you find yourself in front of your own dark doors to the unknown, believe that you too will have the support you need to walk through. Believe that you are suppose to leave chapters in your life that are meant to end. Believe that there are new and exciting experiences waiting for you despite whatever negatives you currently see. Walk through that door and the world will be cheering you on!

I'M SEEKING NEWSPAPERS AND MAGAZINES AROUND THE WORLD
TO WRITE EMPOWERING ARTICLES ON MOVIES THAT MOTIVATE!
If you have any contacts or recommendations please let me know!
See online article samples: Click here

Emmanuel Lopez-Motivatorman
Motivational Superhero At Your Service
See more: www.motivatorman.com

© Emmanuel Lopez 2010

2 comments:

Sheri Zampelli AKA Gal VanIZed said...

Thanks Emmanuel. Just reading your description of it and how you were inspired makes me want to see the movie. I just put it in my Netflix queue.

Emmanuel Lopez - Motivatorman said...

Thanks for your comment Sheri! Inspiring readers like you is a big reason I love writing my blog!

Emmanuel
Motivatorman