Sunday, January 21, 2018

Tip#1077: The Uplifting Power of Cinema, Part 5 – The Greatest Showman

On Monday January 15th I was told by The Toronto Star reporter who interviewed me for an article that it was Blue Monday, the name given to this specific date claimed to be the most depressing day of the year. She said the paper didn't plan this when they published a feature on my experience with depression. But as some of you know I really believe in synchronicity so this was divinely perfect!

The article was called “Lifting barriers to battling the dark demon of depression” and it revealed the damaging details of clinical depression and one of the key therapies that helped me called cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT). This prompted many friends to reach out to me who didn’t know the extent of my challenges and sent me their love, support, encouragement and gratitude for my bravery. Read full article: The Toronto Star

The sad irony is that two days later, my five fantastic weeks of feeling great while on holiday ended and I slipped back into a familiar dark place. But this time it felt more like winter blues symptoms aka seasonal affective disorder (SAD) or winter depression. It felt like slowly sinking into a dark hole while at the same time being drained of confidence, focus, purpose and joy.

On that same morning I got a high recommendation from a friend on Facebook to see the film The Greatest Showman. My intuition and inner voice was joyfully shouting that I needed to see this immediately! I knew this was the cinematic tonic I craved and got dressed and headed out the door. It was a bright and sunny day and despite the chill I could already feel the sun’s vitamin D re-energizing my eyes and skin. The movie would take me even higher!



The Greatest Showman (2017)

The drama musical film, The Greatest Showman, tells the story of American showman P.T Barnum (Hugh Jackman), who founded the famous circus, Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus. This visually colourful and exciting film is filled with original songs, lively dance scenes and engaging performances by Jackman, as well, as Michelle Williams, Rebecca Ferguson, Zac Efron and Zendaya. There are also the oddities played by Keala Settle as Lettie Lutz, a bearded lady and Sam Humphrey as Charles Stratton, a dwarf performer aka General Tom Thumb. See: movie trailer

While sitting in the theatre waiting for the movie to start I could feel depression symptoms increase and weigh me down. But when the film started the sights and sounds of Hugh Jackman and the rest of the singers and dancers quickly lifted me up! I was whisked away to another world! I would also shed tears at many key moments that reflected the ups and downs of my own life. The film was pure movie magic.

There were some issues I had with the film but the inspiration and motivation I felt was far stronger. The movie celebrated the birth of show business and featured a visionary who rose from nothing to create a spectacle that became a worldwide sensation. Barnum demonstrated pure passion, perseverance, vision, resilience, leadership, humility, indestructible optimism, family and so much more. The oddities were also inspiring with their will to face and overcome prejudice and prove their belief in themselves and their uniqueness.

If you are feeling like you're slowly sinking into a dark hole do your best to remember what cognitive behavioural therapy calls your “pleasurable activities”. If movies are one of those activities remember the uplifting power of the sights and sounds you will experience on the big or small screen! The characters, situations and music can re-ignite hope and drive within you and motivate you to keep moving forward. This could be the cinematic tonic you needed most!

Related Tips:
Tip#1000: The Uplifting Power of Cinema – Celebrating 1,000 Movie Tips & In the Film song 
Tip#1038: The Uplifting Power of Cinema, Part 2 - The Zookeeper’s Wife 
Tip#1040: The Uplifting Power of Cinema, Part 3 - Their Finest 
Tip#1044: The Uplifting Power of Cinema, Part 4 – Galaxy Quest
Tip#1077: The Uplifting Power of Cinema, Part 5 – The Greatest Showman



DO YOU KNOW SOMEONE DEALING WITH
DEPRESSION OR WINTER BLUES?
• LISTEN: Emmanuel's CBC Radio Interview on Movie Messages of Hope for the Holidays: The Fresh Air Show
• WATCH: Uplifting Movie Montage produced by Emmanuel Lopez!
• READ: Emmanuel's Ebook, Movie Messages of Hope for the Holidays on sale now

Remember How Movies Can Help You:
A) Entertain & Escape
B) Re-energize & Release
C) Inspiration & Motivation

 http://bit.ly/cj7UIphttp://www.pinterest.com/motivatorman1/http://bit.ly/9Je5dhhttp://bit.ly/djk9Yjhttp://bit.ly/bUSAy0

Emmanuel Lopez-Motivatorman
Motivational Speaker
Discover How Movies Inspire, Motivate & Empower You!
See website: www.motivatorman.com
 
© Emmanuel Lopez 2018

No comments: