Sunday, December 10, 2017

Tip#1071: You Are Not Alone, Part 2 - The Shape of Water

I recently did one of the most exciting motivational presentations for The Canadian Association of Professional Image Creators (CAPIC) here in Toronto. It was the first time I got to show my art from OCADU (art college), play samples of my music and show my photography of nutritious meals I’ve been learning to cook! The topic was called How to Re-Energize & Feel Good Fast.

See samples here: 8 Creative Tools for Motivation & Depression

It meant a lot to me to openly demonstrate how these creative tools helped me manage decades worth of clinical depression. Sharing my experiences makes me feel less alone on my journey. And I could see in some of the eyes in the audience that they were feeling a connection with my story of personal challenges and solutions. I few people approached me afterwards and thanked me for my presentation.

"I found Emmanuel's presentation to be so sincere, true and honest on how he coped with depression. His creative solutions were so brilliant and natural at the same time. I just felt his story was so close to me and what I've been feeling as a newcomer to Canada and from a totally different culture, with no family and friends. I want to thank him for his work.” 
Giga Ishkhneli


Speaking at the Canadian Association of Professional Image Creators. Photos by Michael Cooper

Experiencing depression, mental illness or any disability can make someone feel isolated and separated from others. My creative tools like art, music and the writing of this blog always helps me feel less alone. I know from personal experience that I just feel loved and supported when others respond positively to my creative forms of expression. I feel re-energized when someone lends a helping hand or a comforting word of encouragement. And if no one is around I always have the magic of cinema to keep me warm during dark times.


The Shape of Water (2017)

The fantasy drama film, The Shape of Water, is about a mute, isolated woman named Elisa (Sally Hawkins) who falls in love with a mysterious, scaled water creature (Doug Jones) being studied at a secret laboratory in 1962 Baltimore. This gorgeously filmed tale, by visionary writer/director Guillermo del Toro, is overflowing with magical scenes, sensual moments and touching performances by the whole cast that also include Richard Jenkins, Octavia Spencer, Michael Shannon and Michael Stuhlbarg. See: movie trailer


This has got to be the most unusual yet beautiful love story I’ve ever seen on screen. It explores timely themes such as accepting someone’s disabilities, prejudice and different sexual preferences. The movie is also dedicated to movie lovers as well as a loving look at the films, songs, lifestyle and visual designs of the early 1960’s. And if you look carefully you will recognize parts of Toronto where it was filmed.

Actress Sally Hawkins’s silent performance as Eliza is mesmerizing to watch as she expresses a deep romantic and sexual love for the creature. Actor Doug Jones is also fascinating to watch as the creature. Despite their vast differences they are able to help each other feel loved and supported and less alone. They are both unable to speak and yet transcend their disabilities. Eliza will inspire you with her new found courage, passion, resilience and indestructible optimism. I highly recommend you see this amazing film on the big screen!

If you feel different or isolated from other people always remember that you are not alone. Keep believing there is someone somewhere that knows your pain and struggles. Believe there is someone somewhere that loves and supports you. And if there is no one around just remember the magic of cinema. A good movie can feel like a loving blanket to help you feel safe and warm!

Related Tips:
Tip#594: You Are Not Alone - Henry Poole Is Here 
Tip#1071: You Are Not Alone, Part 2 - The Shape of Water
Tip#1184: You Are Not Alone, Part 3 - 8 Self Care Tips - Sonic the Hedgehog

DO YOU KNOW SOMEONE THAT NEEDS
CHEERING UP DURING THE HOLIDAYS?
• LISTEN: Emmanuel's CBC Radio Interview on Movie Messages of Hope for the Holidays: The Fresh Air Show
• WATCH: Uplifting Movie Montage produced by Emmanuel Lopez!
• READ: Emmanuel's Ebook, Movie Messages of Hope for the Holidays on sale now

Remember How Movies Can Help You:
A) Entertain & Escape
B) Re-energize & Release
C) Inspiration & Motivation

http://bit.ly/cxjH4Zhttp://bit.ly/cj7UIphttp://www.pinterest.com/motivatorman1/http://bit.ly/9Je5dhhttp://bit.ly/djk9Yjhttp://bit.ly/bUSAy0

Emmanuel Lopez-Motivatorman
Motivational Speaker
Discover How Movies Inspire, Motivate & Empower You!
See website: www.motivatorman.com
 
© Emmanuel Lopez 2017

No comments: