Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Tip#891: The Uplifting Power of Nostalgia, Part 3 - The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

Nostalgia:
A bittersweet yearning for things, persons or situations of the past

When I feel nostalgic there is always a twinge of sadness and in the past week several events triggered this feeling. I first attended an art gallery opening for the father of a high school friend Joe and had a heartwarming reunion with another high school art colleague Heather. It touched my heart to be reminded of good times we had during my teen years.

Next, my favourite band ELO also released a single from their first album in almost 15 years called When I was a Boy. Mostly a solo album by leader Jeff Lynne, it still invoked nostalgic memories of the late 70’s albums I loved like “Out of the Blue” that featured Sweet Talkin’ Woman and Mr. Blue Sky. Listen: When I was a Boy


And sadly my friend Lynn Manwar, who I’ve featured in my Movies for Motivation book, finally passed away after a long battle with cancer. She was the angel who came to my rescue and offered her condo’s extra room when I needed a home. And she had inspired me with her incredible resilience and indestructible optimism for the years I’d known her. Lynn’s passing was tearful but later made me remember all the fun social events we’d see each other constantly at during a time we were socializing almost every day!

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (1984)

The science fiction adventure comedy film, The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension, is about the multi-talented Dr. Buckaroo Banzai (Peter Weller) a physicist, neurosurgeon, test pilot and rock musician and how he saves the world from inter-dimensional aliens. This imaginative, eclectic movie features hilarious dialogue and performances by John Lithgow, Christopher Lloyd and Jeff Goldblum. See: movie trailer 


Seeing this film recently really triggered nostalgic feelings of high school with its 80’s sounding music soundtrack and fashions. Its creative spirit reminded me of my own overflowing creativity in the mid 80’s while attending the art college OCA (now OCADU). It’s movies like this, good friends and music from the past that trigger that deep, profound feeling inside me that's both happy and sad at the same time.

During the film there are characters that pass away. But what I loved is during the end credits all the characters come back and join Buckaroo Banzai as they walk joyfully together with a happy soundtrack playing. That is what I picture for my friend Lynn and other loved ones I’ve lost when it’s my time. We’ll all see each other again in another life.

Nostalgia can feel happy and sad and yet it can also be uplifting. Find those friends, music and movies that remind you of happy times from your life today! Drink in the memories and smile!

Related Tips:
Tip#356: Feel Good from Nostalgia - Big Trouble In Little China 
Tip#631: The Uplifting Power of Nostalgia, Part 1 - Paul Williams Still Alive 
Tip#862: The Uplifting Power of Nostalgia, Part 2 – Jurassic World 
Tip#891: The Uplifting Power of Nostalgia, Part 3 - The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension 
Tip#935: The Uplifting Power of Nostalgia, Part 4 – Logan’s Run
Tip#1019: The Uplifting Power of Nostalgia, Part 5 – E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
Tip#1023: The Uplifting Power of Nostalgia, Part 6 – Rocky Balboa & Creed - Double Feature 

NEED FAST TIPS FOR STAYING POSITIVE & RESILIENT?
SEE MOTIVATORMAN’S RESILIENCE RESOURCES: Click here 

Remember How Movies Can Help You: 
A) Entertain & Escape 
B) Re-energize & Release 
C) Insights, Inspiration & Epiphanies 

http://bit.ly/cxjH4Zhttp://bit.ly/cj7UIphttp://www.pinterest.com/motivatorman1/http://bit.ly/9Je5dhhttp://bit.ly/djk9Yjhttp://bit.ly/bUSAy0

Emmanuel Lopez-Motivatorman
Motivational Speaker & Resilience Expert
Discover How Movies Inspire Resilience in Your Work & Life!
See website: www.motivatorman.com

© Emmanuel Lopez 2015

No comments: