Sunday, June 21, 2015

Tip#863: How Movies Saved My Life, Part 2 - Depression & Mental Health - Inside Out

"Inside Out is the greatest all-ages movie about depression, a brilliant creative masterpiece for mental health education and a visual delight on so many levels! I absolutely loved it! If you are dealing with depression you must see this fantastic Disney Pixar film asap on the big screen!" 
Emmanuel Lopez aka Motivatorman

I wanted to start off this blog post with my own quote to share my overflowing enthusiasm for a special movie! I was so happy I got to see Inside Out on opening weekend with some close friends and have a lively discussion afterwards.  It was also synchronistic timing with my current journey with chronic depression called dysthymia (persistent depressive disorder). More details see: tip#855

I am with group of friends to help support Inside Out movie at the Yonge Dundas Cineplex Theatre!

Since my diagnosis (now 5 months ago) I’ve dealt with the shock of the news and have persevered with revitalizing my mental health with various methods and tools. One of them is a 15 week group program called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) which has been amazing in helping me be more aware of how my thoughts, emotions and behaviors keep feeding each other in an endless loop of depression.

Through weekly group sessions, written homework assignments (thought records) and reading chapters of the book Mind Over Mood: Change How You Feel by Changing the Way You Think I am now expanding my awareness of what is happening in my brain and understanding that all my emotions, especially sadness, have great value. That’s why it is almost magical timing that the film Inside Out was released at this point because it deeply mirrors the key CBT topics I’ve been learning!

Inside Out (2015)

The animated fantasy comedy-drama film, Inside Out, is about the five emotions in a young girl’s mind, Riley (Kaitlyn Dias), who help her to cope with moving to a new city with her mother and father. Visually imaginative, highly engaging and brimming with educational material on mental health awareness this fantastic film has wonderful characters and voice performances like Joy (Amy Poehler), Sadness (Phyllis Smith), Fear (Bill Hader), Anger (Lewis Black) and Disgust (Mindy Kaling). See: movie trailer

The detail and information in every scene about our thoughts and emotions is staggering and I am already eager for repeat screenings! I truly believe this film will help decrease the stigma surrounding depression because it helps to illustrate difficulties behind why depression can be so debilitating. The film also shows that each of our emotions has great value especially sadness.

Inspiring Themes:
• Family support
• Teamwork
• Leadership
• Depression & mental health education
• Problem solving

According to the World Health Organization, globally more than 350 million people of all ages suffer from depression. I am one of them. I have a strong belief that Inside Out can be a powerful inspirational, resilience resource for those suffering and for their loved ones who want to help and understand more about this mental health challenge. See: Depression Fact Sheet 

If this article resonates with you then I highly recommend you see this film on the big screen as soon as possible. You will fill yourself with feel-good energy and unlimited hope for persevering in your life and work challenges!

“You can’t focus on what’s going wrong, there’s always a way to turn things around!” 
Inside Out (2015)

Related Tips:
Tip#855: How Movies Saved My Life - Depression & Mental Health - Tomorrowland
Tip#811: Resilience Resources, Part 4 – Top 15 Movies for Dealing with Depression, Winter Blues & Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)

NEED A MOTIVATIONAL SPEAKER ON RESILIENCE?
For your workplace, AGM, Conference or special event...
Contact Motivatorman now! See topics: Click here 

Remember How Movies Can Help You:
A) Entertain & Escape
B) Re-energize & Release
C) Insights, Epiphanies & AHA moments

http://bit.ly/cxjH4Zhttp://bit.ly/cj7UIphttp://www.pinterest.com/motivatorman1/http://bit.ly/9Je5dhhttp://bit.ly/djk9Yjhttp://bit.ly/bUSAy0

Emmanuel Lopez-Motivatorman
Motivational Speaker & Resilience Expert
Discover How Movies Inspire Resilience in Your Work & Life!
See website: www.motivatorman.com

© Emmanuel Lopez 2015

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff, Emmanuel.

You are a brave spiritual warrior!

All the best,
Teresa

Candice Frederick said...

wow. this sounds like such a smart kids film. i can't wait to seeit.