Sunday, July 11, 2010

Tip#372: The Positives of Being Stripped of Belongings – G20 Toronto Pt.4 – Peaceful Warrior

For those of you following my adventures on this blog know that this year I have been vastly stripped down to the core of my business, finances and lifestyle. Due, in part, to the recession hitting in the fall of 2008, my business has been in a state of re-evaluation and I've had to declutter and let go of many belongings in order to move to a much smaller home back in May (see tip#352).

My experience with the G20 standoff at Queen and Spadina in Toronto took me even further. Like 100's of non-protesters detained by police that evening I was stripped of my backpack, camera, wallet, prescription glasses and even my shoelaces. I thought to myself that there must be some higher purpose for this ongoing and radical emptying I keep experiencing.

Peaceful Warrior 2006

The movie Peaceful Warrior is filled with many profound insights on emptying your mind of clutter in order to move forward in life. A college gymnast named Dan (Scott Mechlowicz) seeks wisdom to be an Olympic champion through an enigmatic gas station attendant he calls Socrates (Nick Nolte). To his surprise, Dan doesn't expect his training to include the need to let go of so much in his life in order to make his dreams come true.

There is one scene where Dan and Socrates face muggers demanding their wallets. Though they both hand them over, Socrates continues to offer everything they've got until they're both stripped to their underwear. Dan is confused and angry for having to follow this painful learning path but later understands that it is a metaphor for what he has to strip away in order to make room for a more empowering mindset.

This movie, in turn, was a mirror for what's been happening to me these past few months. I've been drastically letting go of internal and external baggage in order to achieve my bigger goals. There is no coincidence to all that I'm going through. I have to just trust that everything, including my G20 experience, is for a higher purpose. In the end ALL my belongings were returned safely to me within a few hours of detainment.

Making Room

If you feel you are being stripped of belongings, finances or other possessions, look for a higher purpose that's in play. Focus on the possibility that something positive is percolating. Trust that you are making room for something you've been TRULY WANTING to enter into your life.

Read my G20 Toronto Experience:
Part 1: Click here
Part 2: Click here
Part 3: Click here
Part 4: Click here
Part 5: Click here
Part 6: Click here
Part 7: Click here
Part 8: Click here
Part 9: Click here
Part 10: Click here
Part 11: Click here
Part 12: Click here

Emmanuel Lopez-Motivatorman
Motivational Superhero
Social Media Wingman Services
Helping you shine online: www.motivatorman.com

© Emmanuel Lopez 2010

2 comments:

Sheri Zampelli AKA Gal VanIZed said...

I enjoyed the movie Way of the Peaceful Warrior...the book was great too. Thanks for this perspective of the movie. I have been clearing away a lot over the past 2 years as well. Sometimes I was unwillingly "stripped" of thoughts and things, other times I let go without resistance. But I have to say, it's been a great experience to help me remember what's truly important to me.

Emmanuel Lopez - Motivatorman said...

Thanks for your comments Sheri. Sounds like you've gone through much growth over past 2 years. It is a personal achievement to be able to let go isn't it?

Emmanuel
Motivatorman