Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Tip#371: Persevere No Matter What – G20 Toronto Pt.3 - Titanic

Persevere: To maintain a purpose in spite of difficulty, obstacles, or discouragement; to continue steadfastly

Through the power of social media I've been connecting with other non-protesters who were detained by G20 riot police at Queen and Spadina Toronto on June 27th via Facebook groups. Several of them were of the 100's detained in the freezing rain for 3 to 4 hours. I was stunned to see the CP24 TV news coverage to witness their suffering and how difficult it must have been to persevere in the heavy rains.

See CP24 footage part 1 (go to time 3:30): Click here
See CP24 footage part 2: Click here

I was part of the first wave of detainees so I was in the freezing rain for about an hour before being placed in the shelter of a police bus. However it was still an extreme challenge to be standing in the cold rain handcuffed behind my back and no shelter. I was shivering uncontrollably in my short sleeve shirt and shorts.

Thankfully the officer holding onto me obliged my request to put a plastic bag, that was on the ground, over my head. The bag helped but I still had to persevere through this freezing rain so I focused inwardly and remembered to breathe and stay calm. I kept telling myself that everything would be okay and that I would get through this challenge.

Titanic 1997

A movie that celebrates perseverance is Titanic starring Leonardo DiCaprio as Jack and Kate Winslet as Rose. Together they do everything they can to move forward despite every challenge they faced after the Titanic is struck by an iceberg and slowly sinks.

They each tap into inner strengths they may not have known they had. They learn to push themselves beyond their comfort zones. And as they are finally floating in the freezing waters after the Titanic sinks Jack makes Rose promise him to not give up, no matter what happens, no matter how hopeless. And she does. She pushes on, survives and lives and long, fulfilling life.

Your Amazing Potential

Some situations you face in life can feel hopeless. They can feel like an endless cold rain. Do your best to maintain a positive mindset and tell yourself that you can get through your challenge. Believe you have strength within you that will help you overcome any obstacle you face.

Challenges are there to bring out the best in yourself. Let the pain, fear and negative feelings you feel be the signal you are about to discover your amazing potential!

Read my G20 Toronto Experience:
Part 1: Click here
Part 2: Click here
Part 3: Click here
Part 4: Click here
Part 5: Click here
Part 6: Click here
Part 7: Click here
Part 8: Click here
Part 9: Click here
Part 10: Click here
Part 11: Click here
Part 12: Click here

Emmanuel Lopez-Motivatorman
Motivational Superhero
Social Media Wingman Services
Helping you shine online: www.motivatorman.com

© Emmanuel Lopez 2010

No comments: