Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Tip#79: Messages From The Alchemist - Bicentennial Man


Everyone at some time will receive their calling in life. They get a powerful thought or feeling about what they've always wanted to do, what they're meant to do and perhaps what their life purpose is all about. The challenge is answering and committing to the journey of that calling.

If you do follow your calling the universe will do everything to help you achieve your dream through synchronistic meetings, serendipity and omens. Only when you are on the path will you realize you're journey is full of learning.

Since I was young, my calling has been to use my talents to make people smile and feel good. Knowing my calling came easily because I loved using my creativity to do this. Later I was compelled to document and share my journey of my struggles and successes with the world. I loved helping people who felt depressed, lost and alone with my writing, art, music and motivational messages.

I just felt guided to share how I'm overcoming my mid-life transitions, financial challenges and how I discovered my career/life purpose. It hasn't been easy but I knew this was my purpose in life. The challenge now was a growing calling I've resisted to openly share my personal dream for finding my soul mate.

The Alchemist

Sharing my personal goals of finding my special love in my last blog (Tip#78) was a risk for me. I discussed it with friends and an amazing synchronicity helped me see it was the right thing to do. A few days before posting my previous tip I had 2 back-to-back meetings with people who didn't know each other. And yet they both asked if I had read the book The Alchemistby Paulo Coelho.

Both times I had this shiver go up my spine. I hadn't read it and knew nothing about the book but was fully aware it was a synchronistic message for me. I had known about the book for many years but was finally compelled to read it now.

Within 24 hours I had a copy of The Alchemistin my hands and began to read it. It's a magical story about a shepherd boy who has a dream he will find hidden treasure at the pyramids of Egypt. When he decides to follow this dream he embarks on a journey where he meets the right people at the right time to help him with each step.

He learns about omens that are always everywhere. This, of course, is another term for serendipity and synchronistic signs. They are always present when one decides to answer their calling as the shepherd boy learns. In the book a calling is referred to as one's Personal Legend that the shepherd boy follows despite all the many obstacles he encounters.

What I loved most about the book is that it is somewhat romantic because along the journey the shepherd boy meets the love of his life. He is willing to give up his calling to be with her. His lesson was to not give up on his dream as she will be there for him when he finishes his task.

This inspired me deeply since I've maintained my difficult and sometimes lonely journey. The book reminded me to keep believing I'll eventually find the love of my life. Who knows maybe, just like in the story, I've met her already!

Bicentennial Man (1999)

I am reminded of the sci fi comedy drama movie, Bicentennial Manstarring Robin Williams as an android named Andrew. His calling was to improve himself making himself more and more human. His journey takes him around the world as he learns to behave more like a human being and invent new methods of creating human-like body parts and facial features (more at tip#48).

Watch now: Amazon Prime

Amazingly, Andrew even finds a special, loving woman who doesn't care that he is flesh and blood like her. Andrew followed his calling, made is dreams come true and found a woman he loved and loved him back.

Life's Too Short

So have you heard your calling yet? Perhaps you have but chose to ignore it. Maybe your calling is to play a musical instrument or write a book. Maybe you're meant to be a great chef because you love food. Maybe your calling is to face your deepest fears.

Or maybe your calling is to learn how to overcome whatever life is throwing at you and to keep moving forward. If so, you're calling will be like the shepherd boy in The Alchemistand your story will be an inspiration to others.

Life's too short not to take risks and follow your dreams. The road you take may be challenging and even painful but the rewards will be deeply satisfying as in The Alchemist story. And when you follow your calling know that you will never be alone. You are never alone.

The right people and right signs will always come to help you.

"So, why is it so important to live our personal calling if we are only going to suffer more than other people? Because, once we have overcome the defeats – and we always do – we are filled by a greater sense of euphoria and confidence."
From the introduction of The Alchemist

Emmanuel Lopez
Life Skills & Career Development
www.motivatorman.com
© Emmanuel Lopez 2007

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Emmanuel, I just wanted to let you know that I REALLY enjoy The Adventures of Motivatorman! Thanks for sending them to me. I always find them interesting and a good reminder of how to live my life. Thanks!!!
Marlee P. R.

Anonymous said...

Emmanuel- Go see Stardust. It's a fantasy film out in theatres now about finding your true love. :)

Anonymous said...

Well said... I think you have found your calling... as you spread a lot of insight and bring peoples hopes up just by sharing Emmanuel... that is a true gift.

M.