Sunday, February 11, 2007

Tip#28: Childhood Memories of Chocolate: Part 2 of 4 - Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory



This is part 2 of my timeless, passionate love affair with chocolate which I have loved ever since I was a kid. And yes, these days I always have chocolate in my home and workplace because a delicious piece can jumpstart and re-energize me instantly. Luckily, I've learned to indulge in moderation and that is the key to my successful long term relationship with chocolate!

Growing up I remember my favourite chocolates were being Kit Kat and Nestle's Crunch Bar. As I got older I tried all kinds of chocolate and now count Lindor, Ganong and Toblerone as a constant in my home. Of course any european chocolate are outstanding choices with truffles being the ultimate and decadent chocolate experience for me. I save truffles for truly special occasions.

It wasn't just the taste of chocolate I loved, it was the packaging as well. I loved the crinkling sound of the tinfoil wrapping of the original Nestle's Crunch bar. The gentle metallic tinkle that came from opening that inner wrapper always heralded the delicious chocolate I was about to taste. Hearing the crinkle sound became part of the ritual of the chocolate bar experience.

I remember in my 20's writing a letter with my sister to Nestle's expressing our love for that crinkle sound and they responded with a thank you letter and coupons to get more chocolate. It was an unexpected bonus for just sharing something that meant a lot to us.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)

In the fantasy musical movie, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factorystarring Gene Wilder, I remember loving the wonderful packaging design of the Wonka bar. The colours of the outside wrapper, the elegant font and the tin foil inner wrapping will always represent my timeless passion for the chocolate bars I grew up with.

It was fun to watch how little Charlie treated the precious few chocolate bars he could afford, the way he delicately unwrapped the chocolate and savoured each bite. And, of course, I loved the magical, shiny look of the golden tickets. I always wanted to find a golden ticket like that in the chocolate bars I would open after seeing that movie.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)

When they released Tim Burton's version called, Charlie and the Chocolate Factorystarring Johnny Depp, the ushers handed out free chocolate samples after the theatre screening. I thought it was a great marketing move although I wasn't going to try it because it was a Kinder product. I had tasted Kinder Surprise chocolate (with the toy inside) and thought it was like eating waxy brown plastic.

Thankfully I gave the free sample a try and was very surprised to taste a very creamy, liquidy and crisp new taste sensation! It's delicate tube shaped design was sectioned off nicely so you can enjoy small bites at a time. I have to admit I now indulge now and then with this delectable discovery called Kinder Bueno.

So keep your happy childhood memories of chocolate alive today and treat yourself once in awhile. Taking a bite of your favourite chocolate can take you back to a time when all was good in the world and every day was an adventure.

Remember that eating chocolate is a multi sensory experience for not only the mouth but your ears, nose and eyes. Let it lift up your soul with it's timeless qualities.

"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces."
Judith Viorst, Author

"Life is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're going to get."
Forrest Gump

"No other factory in the world mixes its chocolate by waterfall. But it's the only way if you want it just... right."
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

Read Part 1: Click here
Read Part 2: Click here
Read Part 3: Click here
Read Part 4: Click here

Emmanuel Lopez
www.motivatorman.com
© Emmanuel Lopez 2007

No comments: